Search This Blog

Friday, July 3, 2020

Chemical unloading pipe, weathering cross ties, and starting fence construction.


At the end of the siding for fuel delivery is space to spot 1 tank car of chemicals of some sort. So I need a different pipe for unloading at this location. The  walk way naturally extends to the end of the track. I had to build additional concrete risers for the walk way and pipe. I also realized the I hadn't provided a walkway extension over or around the pipes for workers to access the tank cars.


Above I have the completed walkway with short open grate spans to the ballast for rail car access.




In the image above you can see the light gray wash I added to many of the wood cross ties. Ties do bleach to a gray/brown color over time. This also helps the track to standout from the black cinder ballast. The track nearest the bottom has only the original weathering on the ties. I will add more gray to those ties also.


And lastly for today I have the start of the fence posts. On the left where the fence approaches the short retaining wall I have a fence corner assembly. All chain-link fences taller than 6' that I have seen have corner assemblies like this. the post in the corner is connected to 1 post on either side by 1 or more horizontal braces. The braces tend to be of a smaller diameter tube than the posts are made of. Here I'm using brass wire of 2 sizes 0.032in (0.81mm) for the corner post and 0.020in (0.51mm) for the outer posts and braces. All the other fence posts are made of 0.020in steel piano wire. I like the durability of the steel wire.

No comments:

Post a Comment